Mother's Cherry Pie
from the King Orchards website Great local Farm Market just up the road from the Applesauce Inn B&B in Central Lake
| 4 cups tart cherries |
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp. Corn starch
3/4 cup cherry juice
| 1/4 tsp. Lemon or almond extract |
1/4 tsp. Red food coloring
2 tbsp. Butter
Crust for two crust pie
- Mix 1/4 cup sugar, salt and corn starch
- Add 1/4 cup cherry juice to make a paste
- In a saucepan, mix 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup cherry juice and bring to a boil. While boiling, slowly add corn starch mixture.
- Stir constantly, and cook until thick and clear
- Fold in the cherries and add lemon or almond extract, food coloring and butter.
- Pour into pie crust, cover with top crust and bake at 375 degrees for one hour.